Gymnastics Medicine Research
Links below for research our Gymnastics Medicine working board is involved in
- Sweeney EA, Howell DR, James DA, Potter MN, Provance AJ. Returning to Sport After Gymnastics Injuries. Current Sports Medicine Reports. 2018;17(11):376-390. PMID 30407946. https://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/fulltext/2018/11000/returning_to_sport_after_gymnastics_injuries.7.aspx
- Sweeney EA, Daoud AK, Potter MN, Ritchie L, Howell DR. The Association Between Flexibility and Low Back Pain in Female Adolescent Gymnasts. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine. 2019;29(5):379-383. PMID 31460951. https://journals.lww.com/cjsportsmed/Abstract/2019/09000/Association_Between_Flexibility_and_Low_Back_Pain.6.aspx
- Sweeney EA, Potter MN, MacDonald JP, Howell DR. Low Back Pain in Female Adolescent Gymnasts and Functional Pain Scales. Phys Ther Sport. 2019;38:66-70. PMID 31055060. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1466853X19301518
- Pimental RE, Potter MN, Carrollo JJ, Howell DR, Sweeney EA. Peak Sagittal plane spine kinematics in female gymnasts with and without a history of low back pain. Clin Biomech. 2020;76:105019. PMID 32402899. https://www.clinbiomech.com/article/S0268-0033(20)30128-5/fulltext
- Sweeney EA, Wilson JC, Potter MN, Dahab KS, Denay KL, Howell DR. Symptom profiles and postural control after concussion in female artistic athletes. Brain Injury. 2020 May 22;1-6. PMID 32442387. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02699052.2020.1763464?journalCode=ibij20
- Sweeney EA, Howell DR, Seehusen CN, Tilley D, Casey E. Health outcomes among former female collegiate gymnasts: the influence of sport specialization, concussion, and disordered eating. Phys Sportsmed. 2020;1-7. PMID: 33186080. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/2325967121S00042
- Ferber A, Howell DR, Seehusen CN, Tilley D, Casey E, Sweeney EA. Intersection of surgical injuries and pain interference among former female collegiate gymnasts. PM R. 2021 Sep 9. doi: 10.1002/pmrj.12703. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34498793. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pmrj.12703?af=R
- Hart E, Meehan WP, Bae DS, d’Hemecourt P, Stracciolini A. The Young Injured Gymnast: A Literature Review and Discussion. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2018 Nov;17(11):366-375. PMID: 30407945. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30407945/
- Heyworth BE, Sullivan N, Hart E, Bauer A, Bae D. Gymnast’s Wrist: A retrospective analysis of descriptive epidemiology, clinical & radiologic features, treatment & outcomes. Orthop J Sports Med. v.7(3 Suppl); 2019 Mar. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2325967119S00064
- Lattimore, D. (2019). The Emotional Roller Coaster of Injury: A Case Series. Journal of Performance Psychology, 11, 1-25. https://www.nu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Journal-for-Performance-Psychology-Issue-11.pdf
- Potter MN, Pimentel RE, Howell DR, Sweeney EA. Spinal biomechanics in gymnasts during back walkovers and back handsprings. Rocky Mountain American Society of Biomechanics Annual Meeting, April 6, 2019. Estes Park, CO. Podium Presentation.
- Sweeney EA, Potter MN, Howell DR. Low Back Pain in Female Adolescent Gymnasts and Functional Pain Scales. University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus Inaugural Orthopedic Research Symposium and D’Ambrosia Diversity Lectureship. May 8, 2019. Aurora, CO. Poster Presentation
- Sweeney EA, Wilson JC, Potter MN, Dahab KS, Denay KL, Howell DR. Symptom Profiles and Balance Control After Concussion Among Female Youth Artistic Athletes. PRISM Annual Meeting. January 23-25, 2020. Glendale, AZ. Poster Presentation.
- Sweeney EA, Potter MN, Pimentel RE, Carollo JJ, Howell DR. Spinal Range of Motion and Back Pain in Female Artistic Gymnasts During Back Walkovers and Back Handsprings. PRISM Annual Meeting. January 24, 2020. Glendale, AZ. Podium Presentation.
- Potter MN, Pimentel RE, Kilijanek K, Carollo JJ, Howell DR, Sweeney EA. Spinal Biomechanics and Back Pain Among Female Gymnasts During Extension-Based Skills: A Feasibility Study. Combined Sections Meeting of American Physical Therapy Association. Denver, CO. Poster Presentation.
- Sweeney EA, Wilson JC, Doaud AK, Potter MN, Seehusen CN, Howell DR. Brace Use in Barefoot Athletes with Sever’s Disease. AMSSM Annual Meeting 2020. Atlanta, GA April 2020. Virtual Poster Presentation due to COVID19.
- Fryar C, Howell DR, Seehusen CN, Tilley D, Casey E, Sweeney EA. Time Loss Injuries Among Former Collegiate Gymnasts: The Influence of Female Athlete Triad Symptoms. PRISM Annual Meeting. January 28-30, 2021. Podium Presentation
- Sweeney EA, Howell DR, Seehusen CN, Tilley D, Casey E. Health Outcomes Among Former Female Collegiate Gymnasts: The Influence of Sport Specialization, Concussion and Disordered Eating. PRISM Annual Meeting. January 28-30, 2021. Poster Presentation.
- Ferber AT, Howell DR, Seehusen CN, Sweeney EA, Casey E. Pain Interference, Age of Entry Into Gymnastics, and Surgical Injuries Among Former Collegiate Female Gymnasts. American Academy of Physiatry Annual Meeting. February 9-13, 2021. Poster Presentation.
- Sweeney EA, Seehusen CN, Walker G, Provance A, Howell DR. Effects of the Global Pandemic on Youth Gymnasts’ Anxiety and Training. R2021-0033. AMSSM Annual Meeting. April 15, 2021.
- Sweeney EA, Little CC, Wilson JC, Potter MN, Seehusen CN, Howell DR. Comparison of Braces for Treatment of Sever’s Disease in Barefoot Athletes. AMSSM Annual Meeting, Research Podium Presentation. April 11, 2022.
- Hart E, Howell DR, Brilliant A, Meehan WP. Gymnastics and Concussions. PRISM Annual Meeting. Poster Presentation. https://www.prismsports.org/UserFiles/file/26-Hart.pdf
- The most common gymnastics injuries: https://chalkbucket.
- What it’s like to really do gymnastics in a mask: https://fansided.com/
- Rio Reflections: https://training-conditioning.com/article/rio-reflections/
- Hart EA, Nellans KW. (2019). Gymnast’s Wrist. In: Bauer, A., Bae, D. (eds) Upper Extremity Injuries in Young Athletes. Contemporary Pediatric and Adolescent Sports Medicine. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-56651-1_6
- Sweeney EA. (2019). Gymnastics Medicine: Evaluation, Management, and Rehabilitation. Editor: Sweeney EA. Springer Publishing 2019. 1st edition. ISBN 978-3-030-26287-7. https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-030-26288-4